Lots of concurrency

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Thu Oct 25 23:00:42 UTC 2001

Ken Kahn wrote

> There are lots of wonderful StarLogo sample projects (and NetLogo too) but I
> don't like the SIMD flavor of the system. I would rather have the
> flexibility of having lots of autonomous communicating activities.

I think one major advantage of the SIMD StarLogo-World versus the "ticking"
MIMD morphic world, is that the turtles in StarLogo live in serveral ticking
patches where as the morphs live in only one ticking world.

Why not creating a patchboard in squeak, where morphs could live in?

 It would be much easier to implement sniffing or other sensors for the
morphs, if they knew the patch they live in and this patches knew their
neighbours.
I miss more sensors in the current morphic world; right now "color of morph
sees color of other morph" seems to be the most valuable, thats what pixels
are good for...

These patchmorphs certainly would have more "intelligence" as pixels (where
the poor morphs right now have to live on), so they could distribute
pheromone (or "light", "sound", "gravity" etc.) based on their contents.

By the way, with a small patchmatrix-extent at least many board-games could
make some use of such a patchboard-framework, with more horsepower or
parallel processors I could imagine easy programming of video-games in
squeak.

Suggestions?
Worth implementing it?
Aren't patches a bit like synchonization-channels?

Best,

Markus