[ENH][Modules] Projects vs Modules, was: Delta Modules

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Fri Oct 26 14:29:20 UTC 2001

Henrik wrote:
> But Alan/SqC
> also seems to have frequently changed their mind
> about^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H refined the notion of
> what Projects are.

Be careful!  Those key bindings might get you into trouble one day.  ;)
;) ;)

> I proposed Creation as the best name I could come up with
> instead of Project, which is extraordinarily vague and
> generic for such a specific use, and gives poor hints to what
> this "thing" is and does. A Creation is a collection of
> "hand-made" objects that someone has created (with a nod to
> Koestler with the colored planes). See the above page for a
> discussion of this.

I think at this point, it's really difficult to tell what's going to
work well, and what won't work at all.  So far, we've attempted to
define:

  Project
  Package
  Module
  Creation
  Component

and I'm sure I left out a few...is anyone ever going to be able to keep
these things straight?  Certainly not without some hands on use.  Once
something is finally released, we'll start solving the problems out of
necessity.  When we start playing with the code and seeing what works,
and what doesn't, we'll all have a much better understanding of the
issues.

- Stephen