Lots of concurrency

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Sat Oct 27 01:01:02 UTC 2001

Jerry --

Some of the things I didn't like about StageCast were:
   *  its abrupt change in metaphor from pattern matching to what is
in effect a different language to handle more complex situations
(somewhat in the same spirit of the initial magic of Prolog
degenerating into having to understand the depths of how the
inference engine works just as things get interesting). It's nicer
when the learning curve is more gradual and without big cliffs to
fall over.
   * the almost universal tendency of the children to reorder rules
randomly because sometimes this helps (guessing and superstition are
not really how you would like to see children debugging -- this is
too much like most adult programmers!!!).
   * not enough routes for solving problems + the requirement to be
"too clever too early" -- we would rather try to build a culture of
understanding vs a culture of tricks. (This was also one of our
criticisms about Playground as well.)

The food fight game sounds like fun. It's easy to do in Squeak. The
limitation right now in Etoys is just that there is no real facility
to deal with keyevents in the Etoy system itself -- but this is
pretty easy to put in (and we should fix this).
      However, Mike Rueger did put support in for multiple physical
joysticks, and -- even more weird in a sense -- is that you can have
as many SW joysticks as you want in Etoys. This means that your game
can easily be programmed right now to be played via Nebraska (with n
kids and n computers both on the Internet and sharing a screen -- n =
4 would be fun -- you could use all four sides of the screen).

Cheers,

Alan

-------