Lots of concurrency

Justin Walsh jwalsh at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 27 03:34:13 UTC 2001

Yes Randy! I agree but,
I did say Descartes was a dualist.
Descartes had to keep one eye on the Boss and the other on the Job.
Of course being of ex convict stock myself, I should know all about that.
The conditions of the time: Roman Catholic rule, was such, that pursuing any
theories of the mind, could make one really dead or like Peter Abelard; lose
the family jewels.
Now to Copernicus! who was a crafty so n so: he produced his book on his
death bed and left it to poor ole Galilao to carry  the can later: Galileo
nearly lost both: the family jewels and  his life. He should have listened
to Descartes.
Closer to home: when poor old Jobsy rushed back to collect the bits and
pieces: he now admits he "missed", he got fired from his own business.
Life really can be a bitch sometimes: why can't philsophers be allowed to
tell the truth.
Descartes was forced by religious Policy to reduce everything corporeal to
mechanics according to Aristotles Physicus and Metaphysicus: Schollastic
Policy, introduced by Thomas Aquinas was upheld by the sword. The criterian
of truth.
Alan Kay inherited this Cartesian philosophical tradition.
Alan gave to Rank Xerox and now to Apple/Disney what Descartes gave to the
Catholic church: Political loyalty and no trouble.
Put him to the test and you will get mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm silence.
If only we could predict and invent a perfect future, with perfect freedom
of speech.
In the meantime We all have bills to pay.
Ciao
Justin
PS Thanks Randy! As we say downunder "Yer a dinky di sport"

Galileo
http://encarta.msn.com/find/Concise.asp?z=1&pg=2&ti=761557587
Copernicus
http://encarta.msn.com/find/Concise.asp?z=1&pg=2&ti=761571204