[ENH][Modules] Delta Modules [was: Another version]

Mark van Gulik ghoul6 at home.com
Sat Oct 27 07:27:08 UTC 2001

Here's an idea:  I think the idea of being able to manipulate
and analyze modules *without* loading them is sufficiently
important that the initial release of the module system should
*not* actual support module loading.  Such a system will still
be useful for *describing*, say, how to partition an image.
Come to think of it, the actual loading should be a completely
separate, er, module.  That way you can use it for directly
assembling production images from makefiles (without ever
running a single bytecode of that image).  You'll also have a
nice *clean* structure (unfettered by the implementations of
method dictionaries and symbols etc) with which to perform
analysis.  Actual loading of modules into an existing image
should almost be an afterthought.  Sure, people will *want* it,
but I think these other properties might be more important.

-Mark (not even a real Squeaker) van Gulik