Lots of concurrency

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Oct 27 10:29:57 UTC 2001

>[J.Balzano:]
> >Perhaps a brief textual
> >summary of the arguments, and maybe a pointer to the evidence?
>
>Allow me to bug Mark again for what the "lot more empirical evidence in his
>[Simon's] favor" he's referring to.  I took down my copy of Simon's
>"Sciences of the Artificial" book (first edition, from my grad student
>days), where in Ch.2 on "The Psychology of Thinking", Simon says in his
>Conclusion that "the evidence is overwhelming that the system is basically
>serial in its operation"

"Sciences of the Artificial" is more on design than psychology.
"Protocol Analysis" with Ericsson is where I've heard more of the
evidence that the mind is single-threaded (e.g., similar to the
current work showing that driving and cell phone use reduces
attention to each), but I'd bet that "Models of Bounded Rationality"
has it, too.

Mark

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu