Mental Threading

Ed Heil uncorrected at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 28 12:10:19 UTC 2001

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 12:03:44PM +0100, squeak-dev-request at lists.squeakfoundation.org wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 06:29:57 -0400
> To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
> From: Mark Guzdial <guzdial at cc.gatech.edu>
> Subject: Re: Lots of concurrency
>
> "Sciences of the Artificial" is more on design than psychology.
> "Protocol Analysis" with Ericsson is where I've heard more of the
> evidence that the mind is single-threaded (e.g., similar to the
> current work showing that driving and cell phone use reduces
> attention to each), but I'd bet that "Models of Bounded Rationality"
> has it, too.

I think it's clear that the mind as a whole works in a massively
parallel fashion, but that only a few threads at a time at most can be
"conscious," "accessible to consciousness," or whatever term you want
to use for that mental thingy that handles 7+/-2 chunks at once,
maximum.

Sources: vague memories of _The User Illusion_ by Tor Norretranders
and _Wet Mind_ by Kosslyn & Koenig.

"A. We're not evil.  B. We're not an empire."
 --Steve Ballmer of Microsoft, lying through his teeth
Ed Heil ....................... uncorrected at yahoo.com