Corrupted sources?!

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Mon Oct 29 11:10:39 UTC 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 12:14:53AM +0000, John Hinsley wrote:
[snip]

> Do you mean:
>
> Dictionary>>includesKey: key
> 	"Answer whether the receiver has a key equal to the argument, key."
>
> 	self at: key ifAbsent: [^false].
> 	^true
>
> ?
>
> No problems on my system 3.2a #4441 built from Lex's sources. Wierd, eh?
> Just for interest/information, what does the message say?

Drat, looks like a problem on my end then!
The message says:

"There may be a problem with your sources file!
The source code for every method should (usually) start with the
method selector but this is not the case with this method!  You may
proceed with caution but it is recommended that you get a new sources file.
This can happen if you download the "SqueakV3.sources" file,
or the ".changes" file you use, as TEXT.  It must be transfered
in BINARY mode, even if it looks like a text file,
to preserve the CR line ends.
Mac users:  This may have been caused by Stuffit Expander.
To prevent the files above to be converted to Mac line ends
when they are expanded, do this:  Start the program, then from
Preferences... in the File menu, choose the Cross Platform panel,
then select "Never" and press OK.
Then expand the compressed archive again.
(Occasionally, the source code for a method may legitimately start with
a non-alphabetic character -- for example, Behavior method
#formalHeaderPartsFor:.  In such rare cases, you can happily disregard
this warning.)"

*whew!*  Quite a long warning, isn't it?
Anyway, thanks for checking...I'll grab a new SqueakV3.sources file and
see if the same thing happens.  I wonder if a rogue LF snuck into my
sources file somehow...