Game Programming in Squeak

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Mon Oct 29 15:11:41 UTC 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:44:30 +1100, you wrote:

> I know the ability to program 3D shoot-em-ups isn't exactly priority number
> 1 for the Squeak movement, but I do believe it certainly fits into the
> scheme of things so I'm hoping the question doesn't seem out of line.

As anyone who has done any serious 3D game development realizes,
Squeak will probably never be fast enough to do a "modern"
first-person shooter.

If I was going to do a FPS in Smalltalk, I would probably try
Smalltalk MT. I actually did start on a first-person adventure game a
few years ago, using Smalltalk MT. I interfaced MT to OpenGL, and
started playing with it. Never got very far, though...

Most of the effort in writing FPS' is involved in scene management,
not the actual 3D rendering (which is all hardware nowadays). By scene
management I mean reducing the objects in the world that are to be
drawn to only the ones that are visible from the current point of
view.

Later,
Jon