space is low......

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 06:34:36 UTC 2001

John M McIntosh wrote:

> >On Monday 29 October 2001 08:04 pm, John Hinsley wrote:
> >>  Trying to save project as file with one of the Squeakland projects I get
> >>  "space is low...."
> >>
> >>  kdf shows I've got 1.6Gb free! OK, so 90% is flying by the seat of the
> >>  pants on Linux, but 82.3% full?
> >>
> >>  So where, exactly, is the space low? And how can I grow it?
> >
> >Unfortunately, the default memory maximum for Squeak is 20 megabytes. This
> >isn't enough for many uses. It's better to specify a larger value with the
> >-memory flag. However, I'm not sure how to do this with the plugin.
> >
> >--
> >Ned Konz
> >currently: Stanwood, WA
> >email:     ned at bike-nomad.com
> >homepage:  http://bike-nomad.com
>
> Well the macintosh plugin takes these values
>
> At 1:22 PM -0700 9/27/00, John M McIntosh wrote:
> >memory="+5"   //Allocate 5MB more than image size
> >memory="*1.5" //Allocate 1.5 times image size
> >memory="15"  //Allocate 15MB
> >
> >also
> >memory="15000000" give 15 million bytes
> >
> >Other more exotic things like
> memory="*2.0+15"  should also work (2x image size + 15MB)
>
> But if you specified just memory=20 that's only 20mb, maybe you need
> memory="+10" or something (ie 10mb free head room).
>
> Of course this all depends on if the Linux plugin which I'm assuming
> you are talking about actually does anything meaningful with the
> memory tag.

I think it would, if we could work out some way of addressing it! (The
usual *nix way is to simply tell it what to do from the command line:

squeak -memory 60m

when calling it.) It might be possible to hard code it in......

Cheers

John
--
If you don't care about your data, like file systems which automagically
destroy themselves and have money to burn on 3rd party tools to keep