space is low......

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Oct 30 13:55:39 UTC 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Torge Husfeldt wrote:

> Hi  All,
> Two thoughts how you might to be able to tell the plugin to use more memory:
>
> 1. In the vm source code I read that the Environment varible called
> SQUEAK_MEMORY should be read in on startup (sqXWindow.c::parseEnvironment).

Exactly, that's the way it works right now. Just set this before invoking
your browser.

> 2. can't you just write a shell-script or alias that adds this parameter to
> the others?

Just tried - works, too:

	cd  ~/.netscape/squeak
	mv squeakvm squeakvm.bin
	emacs squeakvm
		-------------
		#! /bin/sh
		exec $0.bin -memory 64m "$@"
		-------------
	chmod +x squeakvm

(Don't forget the quotes around "$@": I did and it won't work.)

This is a rather nice idea, actually. This way, we can put all kind of
cool flags there, like our beloved -xshm ...

> Alternative ideas:
> The plugin executable has to give parameters to the vm anyway, why can't it
> add some memory by that way, or can it? -- Maybe read from the environment or
> the html-tag too?

That's what John M. (below) was talking about. I just haven't implemented
that, yet. When someone has an idea how to fit the browser-plugin sources
into the VM-Maker tree at SF, we could start working on this together ...

> Hope this helps,
> Torge
>
> P.S.: What is the problem with using the standard vm and image with the
> plugin? I recall that the instructions for installing the plugin told me to do
> exactly that.

The Plugin has to be able to communicate with the VM.  This code went into
the Standard VM, after a while, so you could indeed use the plugin with
Ian's VM.

Then, I completely rewrote the Plugin/VM interface, but that code did not
make it into the Standard VM, yet:

	http://swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes/1341.html

And that's where we are right now ...

-- Bert