[Modules] DynaBook versus DynaProject

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Oct 30 14:54:07 UTC 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Mark van Gulik wrote:

> On Monday, October 29, 2001, at 07:31 pm, Roger Vossler wrote:
> [...]
> > So, why on earth would I want to modularize a book? How does
> > one modularize "Gone With The Wind", the Bible, "Lord Of The Rings"
> > or the Iliad? Why would somebody want to do so? How would one do
> > it even if they could?
>
> I love to nitpick,

Me too.

Iliad and Gone with the wind seem easily "modularizable".

But also, all these are examples (losely speaking) of literary
texts. Two, at least, are novels (the other two, roughly, are a
compilations). Novels, although often serialized, split up, merged, are
relatively unitary works.

Textbooks, anthologies, etc. often aren't. It's not uncommon to have a
"course guide" in the intro to a textbook (i.e., for a first semenster
undergrad course do 1,2,5-7, for a graduate advance, 1-13, plus 15, 17, 19
as interest determines). When making coursepacks, I've often very finely
tune the selections (think of anthologies that abridge works in various
ways).

Anyhoo....

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.