Game Programming in Squeak

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Tue Oct 30 16:19:33 UTC 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:54:56 +0100, you wrote:

> I'm sure that if you start from that point you'll have plenty of ways to
> prove it ;-)  Ah ... do you remember the days when people "knew" that you
> can't possibly write an operating system in a high-level language like C?!
> ;-)

Yes, I've thought about that perspective. I'm a big advocate of
writing games in Smalltalk, but in my opinion you can't write a "state
of the art" (which is what I really meant instead of "modern") first
person shooter in Squeak. I have my doubts you could do it in any of
the currently available Smalltalks.

The problem is that the target is constantly moving. Yes, you could
probably do Doom or maybe even Quake using Smalltalk MT on todays
hardware, but that is hardly state of the art...

As far as Squeak goes, well, there are probably lots of games like
Lemmings or The Incredible Machine that would be relatively easy to
do.

Later,
Jon