space is low......

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 30 17:32:31 UTC 2001

John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> wrote:
> Trying to save project as file with one of the Squeakland projects I get
> "space is low...."
>
> kdf shows I've got 1.6Gb free! OK, so 90% is flying by the seat of the
> pants on Linux, but 82.3% full?
>
> So where, exactly, is the space low? And how can I grow it?

In addition to what others have posted, I have some patches that improve
the situation a little.
	http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~lex/squeak/

Patch 1: If you add a "-memory flag" and then save the image, you can
execute the image directly and get back the same -memory flag again.
This works for all command-line VM arguments.  It uses the Unix #! hack
to work.

Patch 2: Heck, allocate more memory if it runs low.  Unfortunately, this
is a lot trickier than it sounds, due to ObjectMemory's requirements,
and I'm not 100% sure it is reliable.  But, I use it daily, and I don't
get a crash more than once every week or two, even though I leave Squeak
running 24/7.  This is probably a bad choice for a server, but it's
probably fine for personal hacking around, considering the alternatives.

-Lex