Debian and SqueakL revisited again...(was Re: Debian source package)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 30 16:33:58 UTC 2001

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> > So again, my view is that given a speicific situation I would probably
> > choose between these:
> >
> > - GPL (perhaps without the "version 2 or higher" in case RMS looses it
> > even more... :-) If I want my program not to be turned commercial by
> > someone else
> > - LGPL if I feel that GPL does a good job, but I want to enable people
> > to use it commercially
>
> These are not correct.  Perhaps let's not open this discussion here

Okay, I was a bit terse, and it *is* relevant.  I just didn't relish the
thought of the inevitable 50+ messages hashing out the subtle
differences between these licenses.  :(

One thing I know is that LGPL allows linking with non-LGPL programs, but
GPL does not.  It's a good thing that GNU libc (the one that Linux uses)
is LGPL, because if it was GPL it would be illegal to compile non-GNU C
programs on Linux!  It's unclear where Squeak images would fall here --
is loading Smalltalk code into Squeak "linking", or is it making a
derivative of the base image?  Blah, let's be happy we're not using one
of these licenses and so don't have to decide.  :)

Otherwise, LGPL and GPL are pretty similar, and perhaps even identical.
For example, they both disallow commercial use of the software.

Here's an official site about the GNU licenses:

	http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html

I dunno about the other open source licenses.  Some of them do allow
commercial use, however.

-Lex