[Celeste] msgIDs and sharing categories

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 30 17:47:07 UTC 2001

Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> is widely believed to have written:

> So, I've started dorking with the LWZ threading algo
> (http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html) and something somewhat unrelated
> smacked me on the head: msgIDs suck.
I'm pretty sure somebody else mentioned this a few weeks ago; in
particular how it got in the way of 'leave on server' capabilities.

I'm particularly interested in seeing that work properly since I rely on
it when I'm at the other house and using Communicator to fetch mail on
my PB instead of MessengerPro on my Acorn. I like to use 'leave on
server' so that when  return to main base I can get all the messages on
my main machine, but I don't want to refetch all the messages every time
I connect via the Mac. If Celeste could cope with this I could avoid
having to suffer Communicator.

Wouldn't the message's own ID be usable? For example, Bihan's message
has an ID of
<Pine.A41.4.21L1.0110301238390.15548-100000 at login9.isis.unc.edu>.

tim

Fractured Idiom:- MERCI RIEN - Thanks for nothin'.