[newbie] Class category

G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl
Wed Oct 31 12:37:58 UTC 2001

I was wondering...

Again I saw a newbie asking: "OK, I did several beautiful tutorials but what
now?"

A major problem is often that the complete class-tree is so overwhelming.

Of course you will say: "The Royal way to get grip on Squeak is from that
moment on to try to survive right away between all the other animals in the
Squeak zoo, without any filtering."

But maybe for all the domestic animals, preventing that they give up to
early:

- Is it correct that in the swiki system browser, the only reason for
existance for the column "class categories" is to help the user to organize
an overview of all these classes in logical chunks?
- I see that there is even an menu option Reorganize, so In theory I can
reorganize this complete to create my own subset...
But: Not for a newbie, he/she does not know what to choose and on which
logic base a new ordening should be done.
But: If I want to stay compatible with the next code update from the server
that is not so handy...
But: If I want to organize it in a for me logical hierarchy (a kind of
package view) the option browse hierarchy is not possible in this column.
NOT FOR INHERETANCE REASONS but as logical organizer/reminder for my mind.

QUESTION:
I was wondering if it is not possible to add three buttons under that
column:
- one for the current column-view,
- one for the alternativ-column-views,
- one for current-project-view.

If I push the alternativ column view button, a menu appears where I can
select form alternative views:
- (maybe a complexity leveling view...? But: Can experts create several
levels that really can be more helpful?)
- Some people could create a in their eyes logical overview of the current
tree (Dan view, Alan view, Your view?) or a subset of that tree (Swiki view,
) and deliver that set as menu-option...
- If  someone creates a tutorial then during file in this tutorial must be
able to blends in tutorial-class-view for this tutorial...
- (who decides if new class/methods from updates should appear in their view
on what place? The view holder?)

If I choose current project view, it must be possible to view only the
classes & methods I did already use in my project, ont only the new vreated
but also the exsting ones. (can this be done automatic with something like
shwo project hierarchy? can this also be helpful for distributing?  I feel I
lack a lot of knowledge here...