[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Oct 31 16:46:54 UTC 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, John Hinsley wrote:

> I'd like to switch from Communicator to Celeste. I don't have any
> problems with multiple ISPs and such.
>
> The problem I do have is simply the huge amount (well, hugeness is
> relative, currently nudging half a gig and all in standard Netscape 4.7*
> on *nix format) of stuff I have to transfer over. It can't be as simple
> as copying all the child directories over, or can it?
>
> Ideas, advice and cries of "don't do it!" welcome.

Don't do it.

Really, don't do it.

I've not yet investigated Lex's latest stuff, but having a 96meg messages
file with >19000 messages is...interesting.

Not scary. Not really. Nope nope. Not really. Well, maybe a little :)

I'm becoming convinced that the current IndexFile design needs, at some
point, to go. Or be updated. A fulltext indexing solution, at least for
local stuff, seems to be the best solution, afaict.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.