Saving The World.

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Sun Sep 2 23:24:12 UTC 2001

Tim Rowledge wrote:
> > To get started I should get a working squeak system...
> That would certainly help.

Yeah, I went and downloaded all 8M of the win 95 version hoping that I
could compile it with B TC++ 4.5 under Win 3.11... No deal. =\

> Ain't no such thing. There is plently of doc around, most of it
> referenced from the squeak.org site and/or the swiki. Much of it only
> exists in virtual form. There are two books on Squeak (search
> amazon.com or you favourite booksite for 'Squeak and guzdial') and
> several on Smalltalk. Even ignoring the completely implausible request
> for no redundancy, there simply isn't any such thing as 'complete'. We
> keep changing things!

Are you aware of a process called "configuration managment"?
For Squeak to be a viable commercial alternative (never mind the
performance issue), it must be clearly documented and well controlled.

Otherwise companies cannot rely on it enough to use it...

--
The Linux developer community operates like an anthill.
Thousands of autonomous agents working togeather to produce a laberynth.