Saving The World.

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Sep 2 23:46:35 UTC 2001

On Sunday 02 September 2001 04:24 pm, Alan Grimes wrote:

> Are you aware of a process called "configuration managment"?
> For Squeak to be a viable commercial alternative (never mind the
> performance issue), it must be clearly documented and well controlled.
>
> Otherwise companies cannot rely on it enough to use it...

We're taking the first steps here on the list, making a module system that
will help to ease the problems of distribution. Configuration management
would benefit greatly by such a system.

And anyway, who said that it was the goal of the entire Squeak community to
make Squeak a "viable commercial alternative"? Squeak isn't commercial, and
so far hasn't been focused on making traditional applications (not that there
aren't some people who want to do this, but it hasn't been the main focus).

I'd hate to see Squeak thought of as being yet another database front end
product, like some of the other Smalltalks are seen by some people.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com