Saving The World.

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Sep 2 23:56:40 UTC 2001

Alan Grimes <alangrimes at starpower.net> is widely believed to have written:

> Are you aware of a process called "configuration managment"?
> For Squeak to be a viable commercial alternative (never mind the
> performance issue), it must be clearly documented and well controlled.
Hmm, let's see... yup, I think I might have dealt with that in the
twenty years or so I've been making a living from softare.
You're making a common mistake though. Squeak is not aimed at being a
commercial alternative. It is aimed at being a vehicle for the journey
towards an exquisite personal computing system. There are several
commercial Smalltalks already. Mind you, Squeak _is_ used commercially
in several places, where the complete openness and rapid development,
community etc is valued even more than the qualities of those commercial
versions.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he pulled Piglet out the mincer.