Saving The World.

Edmund Ronald eronald at rome.polytechnique.fr
Mon Sep 3 00:08:28 UTC 2001

Alan, as much as the world may need saving, Squeak will not do it.

The people here are brilliant scientists, some of them are responsible for
many key innovations that made present-day interactive computation and
software engineering possible. As scientists they do not care about the
preocupations of organisations that use computation as industrial
infrastructure.

The resulting creation, Squeak is thus a spectacularly effective
prototyping tool which demonstrates all the abilities of the
exceptional collection of people who create it and maintain it.
Squeak is also encumbered by extreme NIH, and as a work in progress will
predictably break the existing application codebase. Forget about
non-regression testing.

It is a privilege to be able to watch the people on this list thrash
around design ideas, and evolve their language at breakneck speed. But
acrobatic monoplanes do not an airtransport industry make :)

Edmund