[Modules] a summary of joseph's work

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Sep 3 12:33:36 UTC 2001

Hi

I discussed and saw a lot of demoes of joseph's work at ESUG and I would
like to summarize it.

Joseph's idea is to find a minimal structure that support the modularisation
and on top of which other can build

- Based on a minimal semantic model: a layer on top of the smalltalk
meta-model (implemented lazzily) that represents declaratively Smalltalk
elements. Around 15 classes

- a Module/Cluster structure influenced by Team/V in which classes and
classes extensions can go.

- a set of errors that can be captured to resolve differently conflicts:
the base to build other tools such as Colleage.

- a modularizer: this class allows one to define the basic structure of the
modules and automatically move classes in those modules. This is an
extremely important aspect to let people explore different ways of
organizing the code.

- The possibility to have envy like prerequisites validation or to let it
lose so that we can hack fast something.

- a set of Browsers for the module ....: really cool to already have them!

I hope I did not forget anything.
The point for me is that being able to compile Squeak from VA or VW is just
a proof of concept that we could get a really small image, and even less
minimal if we would stream in byte-code and remove the compiler ;)

Stef
I hope this helps