Modularity vs monolithic images

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Sep 3 17:55:52 UTC 2001

"Roger Vossler" <rvossler at qwest.net> is widely believed to have written:

>     While modularity usually gains a certain amount of flexibility, the
> price paid is a big hit in performance.
What gives you this idea?

In the particular case of Squeak plugins, the lookup when an external
prim is first called might involve finding a file loading it, doing an
OS binding/search etc, but that only happens once. On susequent uses,
the cost is rather small - an extra couple of indirections perhaps.

In the case of Smalltalk code modules of the sort we have been
discussing recently, I imagine that any sensible mechanism will
effectively be as fast as any other method lookup.

What cases of a modularity cost have you seen?

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Furnulum pani nolo = I don't want a toaster.