The VM is in the Swiki

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Tue Sep 4 07:04:21 UTC 2001

Andres,

> What I still do not understand is why it is necessary to change the
> primitive numbers, or why it is necessary to check from Smalltalk what
> kind of exception support is in the VM.  We're just making images and
> VMs incompatible with each other.  I think it would be much easier to
> make VMs polymorphic from a primitive behavior point of view, but I'll
> welcome any illuminating comments any of you may have.

The reason for this particular incompatibility is unawareness about the fact
that Tims original EH fixes went into the SWT image in that particular way.
In other words: Tim allotted a few "marker" primitives which were spread out
over a number of prim numbers and (IIRC) also conflicted with some prior
uses of these prim numbers. When we adopted these changes I gave those
marker primitives different numbers (because I was not aware of the use in
SWT which had not seen the day of the light at that time) and therefore we
got into the current mess. My suggestion for the SWT image is to just change
those primitive numbers (e.g., just apply the changes I sent out a while
ago) since most people will have "stock" VMs.

Cheers,
  - Andreas