Squeak beginner

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Thu Sep 6 19:04:03 UTC 2001

> Jaime Silvela wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>   I haven't found a list for newbies, so I'm writing to this one.

This is the place to ask questions.

> Sorry!

Don't be sorry:-)

> I've been using Squeak for a couple of weeks and I like it a lot. It's
> my first Smalltalk experience. I've just finished writing a version of
> the classic Snake game in Morphic, and I thought some other beginners
> might benefit from my code, and enjoy the game. Is there a repository
> for this type of stuff?

Doug answered that. Sounds cool by the way.

> Also, I'm plannning to rewrite in Morphic an Image processing system I
> wrote in C++. This would include a TIFF reader/writer (I haven't found
> one in the 3.0 image) and some morphological image processing
> operations. From browsing classes and reading the source code for the
> Demos, I think that for displaying images I should use ImageMorphs.
> Correct?

Or sketch morphs.

> What is slowing me is actual pixel manipulation. I see three classes
> relevant for this: Bitmap, Form and BitBlt. I'm learning them form
> reading source code, but I'd work faster with some documentation.

I did some hacking to add a hue, saturation, brightness rule to
BitBlt. Take a look here
http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/1630.html
Some parts of this is written in a subset of smalltalk
called slang that can be translated to c and then compiled
to address speed issues.

I also did some work in plain smalltalk
http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/1603.html

Also take a look at this project:
http://webs.sinectis.com.ar/jmvuletich/ImageProcessing/ImageProcessing.html

> Is there some documentation on these classes? Maybe in some of the
> books, say Goldberg and Robson?

Not to my knowledge...

Karl