debugger doesn't restart

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Fri Sep 7 17:21:06 UTC 2001

> ...when is the usual proceeding restart useful?  I have to admit that
> I've never had (or perceived) a need to use it instead of just using
> 'proceed'.

	"Proceed" wouldn't do what I want... It wouldn't unwind to and reset
the selected context, it would just proceed from the most recent
context. I usually want to re-run from the beginning of the selected
context, without having to perform two sets of gestures (and wait for
the associated window dance).

> ...it's much more often that I accidentally step over a method I
> wanted to send into, and I'd like a non-proceeding restart so I can
> try stepping through things again.

	Interesting. I usually have no idea where I'm going to want to start
stepping again, it's typically the "next bug", dozens of (time-consuming
:) steps away. But this is certainly a useful feature. I'd add a new
action for that, called "reset". "Restart" to me implies that the
process under observation will start running again.

-C

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist