Next generation of PDAs?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Sep 7 23:41:15 UTC 2001

On Friday 07 September 2001 02:14 pm, Gary Fisher wrote:

> Sounds like you're in the market for a Kay Dynabook.  <G>

Sure. Got one?

> You mention running Squeak under Linux, which is certainly a fine choice,
> but I wonder if a "specialized general purpose machine" of the PDA class
> could reasonably be built to run Squeak native?

Do you mean to interpret Squeak bytecodes? I suspect that it would take some
interesting manipulation to write an interrupt handler in Squeak, or to write
the actual kernel (GC and all)...

There's got to be a reason that the Lisp machines etc. of the '80's are no
longer being made. Maybe it's just the death of the AI industry, or maybe
people found that they couldn't keep up with the performance of Intel's
general-purpose chips. Maybe it's just economics.

It's never been easier for the garage hacker to make his own processor, with
high-density FPGAs and CPLDs easily available. There are even free tools
available for these.

I see Linux or WinCE or whatever as more a packaging scheme for hardware
drivers and filesystems than anything else. Using them I can get Other
People's Code to do these things.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA