[EDUCATION] Porting new wine into old bottles

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Sat Sep 8 05:03:10 UTC 2001

Edwin,

John wrote:
> The other thing is getting a reasonably small squeak image, right now
> you need about 20MB to run things. Is that too large, you might only
> have say 10mb to play with which will mean you need to trim an image,
> or build one from stable squeak.

You may want to use the plugin image from Squeakland.org (which, btw, is the
image that we installed last week in two schools in L.A.). This is a
relatively small image (~5.5MB) and includes everything you'll probably need
(the only 'interesting' stuff that's missing is 3D but I doubt this is an
issue on this class of machines). However, it's still a good idea to give
Squeak as much RAM as somehow possible - once the kids get going we need
some memory to store all the art.

Cheers,
  - Andreas

PS. If you have any other questions regarding class room use of Squeak, the
squeakland.org mailing list might be a better forum for a discussion.