Next generation of PDAs?

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Sat Sep 8 12:46:55 UTC 2001

"Ned Konz" said:

> > Sounds like you're in the market for a Kay Dynabook.  <G>
>
> Sure. Got one?

Um, let's see -- you want it in Slate or in Putty?  I've got both materials
on hand.

(-:

Thank you for your reply, Ned, and thanks especially to John Maloney and
Alan Kay for filling in and adding some details on the M32R/D story.

I agree that building on a commodity OS makes development easier, at least
at first, but in production anything extraneous needs to be avoided.  Squeak
is capable of acting as its own OS; anything else between it and the
hardware must be justified in terms of processor time, hardware
complication, power consumption and overall system complexity.  I'd love to
replace the Virtual Machine with a Virtuous Machine.  <G>

Gary Fisher
Spectrum Electronics, Inc.