Left arrows in NewYork12-14, a Question of some urgency.

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Sat Sep 8 13:12:05 UTC 2001

David N. Smith (IBM) wrote:

> I'd prefer a way to modify the font to restore underscores just as I generate
> the standalone image. That way only the users see the underscores.

David,

programmatically generating underscores is not hard. You just need to put a
full-width line of pixels at the y coordinate of the baseline of the usual
letters. This can be made to work for any size and font rather easily.

Such a method would easily qualify for inclusion in the image, IMHO.

However, doing the same for arrows is much harder, the y axis placement of
the line, plus a good size for the "<" of the arrow, are much more a matter
of visual judgement.

Henrik