Next generation of PDAs?

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Sat Sep 8 21:23:15 UTC 2001

> 64MB is just not enough though.  The Toshiba sounds interesting.

64MB DRAM for executable memory, plus storage and support for paged memory.
You can buy a 640MB CompactFlash which consumes very low power, as opposed
to a 1GB micro-power-pig.  In two years, you'll have PDAs with 256MB or more
of executable memory.

> Yes, but [hard drive based MP3] devices are much smaller
> than early PDAs now, and they'll get smaller and lighter.

Only if the hard drives get smaller, lighter, and less power-hungry.

> All things considered, I'd just as soon have a wireless
> connection from my PDA to network storage.

> I would like to have all of my information and
> applications stored locally on the device.

I am the same way.  Buy a larger CF.  I just bought a 256MB Viking CF for
<$100.

	--- Noel