Next generation of PDAs?

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Sun Sep 9 01:13:25 UTC 2001

	I think the iPAQ is a decent machine for normal Squeak development...

	John Maloney writes:

> The iPaq is a very nice Squeak machine for deployment. The small
> screen and lack of a keyboard makes it inefficient for programming.

	I use a Stowaway folding keyboard; I like it better than most laptop
keyboards I've used.

	Tim Rowledge writes:

> My 200MHz StrongARM... is useless for Morphic.

	How do you quantify that? (menu latency, etc.)  Morphic on a 206MHz
iPAQ seems tolerable to me.

	With regard to secondary storage... I'm using a 2G PCMCIA hard drive at
the moment. It's 0.5W at 3.3V, and has a fairly aggressive spindown
policy; I get about eight hours using the machine between charges. If CF
had been as cheap as it is now a few months ago, I probably would have
gone that way. As it is, I like the faster burst transfer rate and
larger capacity (mainly for video).

-C

--
Craig Latta