[BUG] unix squeak sound playing freeze

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Sep 9 08:53:04 UTC 2001

> The time lag that you mention is only a problem if you use large sound
> buffers. We try to keep the buffer size below 200 milliseconds, but on
> fast machines you can set it down to a mere 30 milliseconds or so. There's
> experimental primitive that mixes sound into the sound buffer that's
> already been queue up--the "quickstart" primitive--but I think it only
> works on Macs. It's a little more complex that I'd like and the primitive
> is definitely tricky to implement.

For the record, I implemented the quickStart thingie on Linux, as well.
It's quite complicated on Linux, too, and moreover, it requires using a
kernel interface that isn't always available!  Since some people will
always desire a version that doesn't require the special interface, I
put my time into the more general-purpose sound support file.  Don't let
me stop anyone else from working on it, however -- it's a really nice
interface, allowing both large, safe buffers and low latencies!

Curious people can find this via the "Sound Support for Unix" Swiki
page, or they can go directly to here:

	http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~lex/squeak/sound/

-Lex