[ANN] [Squeak Installer] SqM - The Network is The Mouse (half of it, for now ;-)

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at home.com
Sun Sep 9 22:47:53 UTC 2001

Adreas,

    Thanks for trying it out.

> Pretty neat! I noticed one little issue - when you start the VM by double
> clicking on the executable and go through the file open dialog, the first
> bunch of plugins gets installed into vmdir/plugins and the next bunch
(after
> the image is loaded) into imagedir/plugins. It would probably be better if
> they all end up in the vmdir/plugins directory.

    Totally agreed. It looked weird when I first noticed it. It was left
like that for a purpose.

    The first bunch you mentioned consists of : PlugManPlugin, ModManPlugin,
PlatformPlugin, WindowPlugin and InterpreterPlugin.

    Ideally, at this stage, only the first 3 should be needed. If properly
factored, WindowPlugin and InterpreterPlugin should not be loaded here ?

    Also, did you notice that you can unload 'ModManPlugin', Squeak will be
happily running forever. Currently, it only serves to initialise things for
the InterpreterPlugin to work.

    It will be fixed as you suggested. Especially considering when the other
half comes along, there will be no longer an imagedir (?) , images will be
custom made on demand according to a work order, assembled and delivered
from a server somewhere on the network. ModManPlugin will only have to 'load
and initialise' in memory, ready for interpret() ?

    However, one still wants to have an imagedir to store the favorite
images ready made. ;-)

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.