JPEG Compression?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Sep 10 01:15:56 UTC 2001

On Sunday 09 September 2001 05:49 pm, Bob Hartwig wrote:

> After porting (most of) your TIFF plugin to Win32 early this year, I
> concluded that LIBTIFF was happy to write JPEG-compressed TIFFs, but some
> major hacking would be required to get it to write JPEG files.  If I'm
> wrong though, it would be really nice to have one plugin that uses the same
> underlying API to read and write TIFFs and JPEGs, rather than having to
> wrap LIBJPEG separately.  What do you think?

Don't JFIF and TIFF use the same compression? I thought that JFIF ("jpeg
file") was merely a simple application of JPEG compression that just
represents pixels. The file format itself is different, of course, but the
hard part (the compression and decompression) should be done by the TIFF
library.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA