How to get font size to "stick" on a TextMorph

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Sep 10 17:46:59 UTC 2001

Ned> If you're doing this programmatically, what you want to do is to pass
>> a Text Ned> (which has styles in it) rather than a String (which would use
>> a default Ned> font).
>>
>> Is there a way to set the "default font" for a TextMorph then?

Ned> Yes; beAllFont: works. TextMorphs have a textStyle instvar.

Oh, but a "Player" doesn't know how to do that.  A "Player" knows
how to "setCharacters:", and delegate that to the Morph via

        self constume renderedMorph setCharacters: amt

but beAllFont: is not a delegated method

so I'd have to write in my PlayerScript

        self costume renderedMorph beAllFont: ...

which seems too inside-peeky to me.

>> If so,
>> how come the halo doesn't do it?  I just want to be able to say
>> "update the string you're displaying to be FOO now".  That shouldn't
>> be hard in this eToys world. :)

Ned> How does the halo let you change the text? I just select all the characters
Ned> with the mouse or keyboard (cmd-A) and type in new text.

Right.  And that lives until the next tick of my script.  The
'beAllCharacters:' resets it back to some inherent default font.

>> Or, is there a more appropriate string holder container?

Ned> What are you trying to do?

Well, Saturday, I got the great idea to make a countdown counter to
the rollover of the Unix billion-second-ium.  And I got it mostly
working, using the eToy scripting interface, except the font was
wrong, so as I started to poke at the font, and got stuck.  Every time
my script would tick (running setCharacters:), the font would reset to
element 1 of the list of fonts, but I had no way to either menu-change
or etoy-change that font.