Squeak on frame buffer

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Sep 10 18:00:44 UTC 2001

HNBeck at t-online.de (Hans N. Beck) is widely believed to have written:

> Hi,
>
> will there be in future a squeak which may run in a frame buffer as in
> X windows, with the same VM ? Is it difficult to port Squeak to i.e.
> directFB ?
I'm not absolutely sure what you're asking, but I'll try to offer some
useful info;
- I did a port to Itsy ages ago which wrote to /dev/fb. Somebody else
took this code and used it for some other system (sorry, can't remember
who).
- I did a port to the Interval WebPad which wrote _directly_ to the
screen hardware memory, no intermediary Display bitmap.
- at least two other ports (one to the Mitsubishi M32 & one on another
ARM development board) have used similar strategies.

My code is floating around somewhere and you can certainly have a copy.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BYEBYE: Store in Write-Only Storage