Squeak on frame buffer

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Tue Sep 11 02:39:22 UTC 2001

Actually, it was just in the interests of conserving space that I wanted
to do away with X.  I'm still working on a "stock" 32M iPaq and right now
the biggest lump of code lies in X (and assorted libraries).

I could just get a CF, but I'm determined to get a 'Squeak' PDA working
on the stock hardware.  So far I've been successful, but not with the 3.1
image (which has grown too fat, even after shrinkage).  This is all Morphic,
of course.

Anyway, I've lost interest in the framebuffer stuff...it was more a curiosity
than anything else.  I'm not sure what size a pure framebuffer Squeak would
be compared to X, in fact.  The next version of Familiar should be a lot
more trim X-wise, from what I read, so it may not be important at all.

The GAPI pointer is a good idea!  If I decide to pick up the framebuffer
stuff again I'll give it a look...and actually, the Xfree86 code itself
should have good framebuffer code (Xfbdev, in particular).