[goodie] Kids' Refrigerator Magnets

Luciano Notarfrancesco lnotarfrancesco at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 03:46:30 UTC 2001

Hi Dan, Diego,

--- Dan Ingalls <Dan at SqueakLand.org> wrote:
> >When I execute PhoneticTranscriber spanish a get a
> >"MessageNotUnderstood: spanish"
> >

> Well, since Luciano Notarfrancesco was the author, I
> bet that help is on the way ;-).

Here's a fix! ;)
(I'm quite sure this mail won't make it to the list...
I'm not sending it from the mail account that is
subscribed to the list.)

> >The other question is: this code will speak in
> >spanish?
> >
> >        | s |
> >        s _ Speaker new.
> >        s transcriber: PhoneticTranscriber spanish.
> >        s say:'Hola mundo'.

Yes, although the pronunciation rules are not perfect.
And the intonation and phonemes themselves are
supposed to be close to those of Enlish, so it might
sound sometimes like an English guy speaking Spanish.

> By the way, Luciano, if you are reading this, you
> once pointed us at some data that should improve our
> TTS for English.  I was impressed recently how easy
> it was to improve the pronunciation of numbers,
> given your help, and now I am curious how well our
> Klatt TTS could do with a really good set of rules.
> If you have such a thing, could you put it out as an
> [ENH], or at least point us once again at the source
> for such guidance?

Your beatuful game set my attention back to the
Speaker... at least for a few days. Last week I
started to do some refactoring on it. I'd like to
remove some classes (Clause, DurationsVisitor,
F0RenderingVisitor, IntonationVisitor, Word, Syllable,
Phrase, etc). That should make it simpler and easier
to understand.
About improving pronunciation, the easiest way to do
it is making the lexicon bigger. I have somewhere a
change set that adds support for a pronunciation
dictionary that is publicly available on the web. I'll
try to find the change set.

Cheers,
Luciano.-