[Problem]: Squeak won't come up under my Unix

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Sep 11 09:26:38 UTC 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Alexander Klein wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I spent the last few days trying to get Squeak to run on my machine, an
> m68k-apple-NetBSD1.5.1 system. The virtual machine compiles without a
> problem, but when I try to start Squeak, I get:
>
> This visual class is not supported.
>
> And that's it.
>
> I run X11R6 with xdm and twm on a monochrome display.

Monochrome - meaning 1 bpp or gray scale? What visuals does your X server
provide (see xdpyinfo)? You might have luck running Squeak inside VNC,
although performance-wise that would be suboptimal.

> Is there any chance to get it running?

Of course. You just have to implement 1 bpp support in sqXWindow.c. That
means: add your visual to SetUpWindow(), make sure it gets initialized
correctly in SetUpPixmap(), implement a simple copyImage1To1() function,
add it to the dispatcher in ioShowDisplay(), and update
ioHasDisplayDepth(). Maybe you don't even need the copy function if the X
bitmap layout is equal to Squeak's layout.

This really isn't hard, I did it once to support 1/2/4 bpp on a 32 bpp
visual. Just do it :-)

-- Bert