Java is much slower than C++ which is slower than LISP.Smalltalk?

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Tue Sep 11 14:47:41 UTC 2001

Not surpringly, I think Smalltalk, especially Squeak, is a more productive system
for me, personally, than either C++ or Java. I've never done serious work in Lisp,
so I can't compare Lisp to Smalltalk.

Unfortunately, I think the programing team is more significant than the
language. A great team will be productive and successful with nearly
any language, a poor one will probably fail with any language. Lisp and
Smalltalk tend to attract well-educated computer scientists which may
make those languages users, as a group, more effective. But it's pretty
hard to "prove" that one programming language is overall better than
another because there's so much variability in programmers.

Thanks for the urls.

	-- John