TranscriptStream questions

Ken G. Brown kbrown at tnc.com
Wed Sep 12 12:15:58 UTC 2001

At 21:03 -0700 on 2001/09/11,  Dan Ingalls is rumored to have written:
>"Ken G. Brown" <kbrown at tnc.com>  wrote...
>
>  >TranscriptStream seems to be able to do what I want for displaying
>a growing text stream from a serial port. However there are a few
>things I don't understand.
><snip>
>
>Yoy need to pay attention to the error -- a SystemWindow was unable
>to understand #show:, not a TranscriptStream.
>
>You needed instead the followindg couplet:
>
>((myTranscript _ TranscriptStream new) openAsMorphLabel: 'My
>Transcript') openInWorld.
>myTranscript show: 'my text'. "works just fine"

Aha! THX! This stuff is great.
I'm attempting to build a debug tool in Squeak in an environment
where we are working on an embedded application in C. Although I've
been following the Squeak list for some time, this is more or less my
first serious attempt at a useful application. I hope to show the
power of Squeak.

In attempting to understand what's going on, I tried the following:
myTranscript _ TranscriptStream new.
myTranscript openAsMorphLabel: 'My Transcript'.
myTranscript openInWorld. "This gets a message not understood - openInWorld"

What's getting the openInWorld message in the working version? It
seems it is no longer myTranscript.
Thx.
Ken
<>