TranscriptStream questions

Joern Eyrich Joern.Eyrich at brokat.com
Wed Sep 12 15:26:23 UTC 2001

Hi Ken,

"Ken G. Brown" wrote:

> In attempting to understand what's going on, I tried the following:
> myTranscript _ TranscriptStream new.
> myTranscript openAsMorphLabel: 'My Transcript'.
> myTranscript openInWorld. "This gets a message not understood - openInWorld"
>
> What's getting the openInWorld message in the working version? It
> seems it is no longer myTranscript.

you can find out if you do an "inspect it" on the second line after you executed the first one. you'll see that the return value of the openAsMorphLabel: message was a SystemWindow; this gets the openInWorld message in Dan Ingalls's example. So you could rephrase the whole thing as

myTranscript _ TranscriptStream new.
myTranscriptSystemWindow _ myTranscript openAsMorphLabel: 'My Transcript'.
myTranscriptSystemWindow openInWorld.
myTranscript show: 'my text'.

if you want to know how the Window and the stream are associated, you can explore the SystemWindow, and you will find a PluggableTextMorph that is a submorph of the SystemWindow. The model of this PluggableTextMorph is a TransScriptStream. This might be part of the answer to your second question about having multiple streams display in a window.

Joern