[OT] Will the SSSCA outlaw Squeak?

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Sun Sep 16 18:06:46 UTC 2001

>> This is exactly the reason that it is necessary for us to be actively
>> engaged in politics and discussing politics.  Perhaps a separate list
>> for the discussion of the political climate as it relates to Squeak is
>> warranted.  It is my opinion that legislators do not have the authority
>> under the Constitution of the United States to pass such legislation.

> They already passed the DMCA, which criminalizes previously-free speech.

They can pass whatever they want.  It needs to be challenged in court.  That
is why they are pursuing the case against the programmer who published the
flaws in "secure" PDF; both sides need Judicial review of the law.  I am
hopeful that large portions of the DMCA will be struck down as
unconstitutional.  You don't solve problems with technology by preventing
people from talking about them, and secure PDF is an oxymoron as currently
implemented.

	--- Noel