[OT] Will the SSSCA outlaw Squeak?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Sep 16 21:02:13 UTC 2001

On Sunday 16 September 2001 01:10 pm, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

> When you are able to cite a provision that makes it illegal merely to
> discuss circumvention technology, in or out of academic research, I'll
> lead the fight to invalidate it.

As an example of a huge company pushing to criminalize certain kinds of
speech, the Florida Statute 817.482 would seem to make it illegal to describe
phone phreaking techniques over the 'net if you thought anyone would actually
use them:

817.482  Possessing or transferring device for theft of telecommunications
service; concealment of destination of telecommunications service.--

(1)  It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to:

(b)  Sell, give, transport, or otherwise transfer to another, or offer or
advertise to sell, give, or otherwise transfer, any instrument, apparatus,
equipment, or device described in paragraph (a), or plans or instructions for
making or assembling the same; under circumstances evincing an intent to use
or employ such instrument, apparatus, equipment, or device, or to allow the
same to be used or employed, for a purpose described in paragraph (a), or
knowing or having reason to believe that the same is intended to be so used,
or that the aforesaid plans or instructions are intended to be used for
making or assembling such instrument, apparatus, equipment, or device.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com