[SqueakNews] Status

Editor - Squeak News editor at squeaknews.com
Tue Sep 18 00:05:09 UTC 2001

Dear Squeakers,

When we started publishing Squeak News one of our readers whom I respect a lot suggested that the 3rd issue would be more difficult than the first two issues. Until the 11th it seemed that the things were quite good. We had a record number of submissions and a beautiful issue was in the making. The theme was going to be "Squeak and Multimedia". I was quite happy that we were doing quite well for the 3rd issue which I thought would be difficult.
Then the tragic events occurred.
Squeak News offices weren't destroyed. We have no offices. We are a virtual organization that only exists on the web.
But the horrible act of terrorists and the prospect of a war in horizon managed to shatter our hearts. Since all our participants are volunteers it is much more difficult for us to pull together as quick as a company. On top of that our mail agents advise that the mail operations in and out of the USA have resumed but face significant backlogs. Because of these problems the September issue will be published on the 22nd of September and will be named "Squeak for a Better World" in memory of the victims, inspired by an email to the list  by Andreas Raab.

I will send the table of contents of the September issue to the list around the 22nd.

Meanwhile we are also planning to start our email newsletter and start populating the Squeak News site with some of the articles as HTML or projects that wouldn't require the support of the full image on the CD by the end of September.

I thank the Squeak community for their incredible support during the very critical first 3 months of Squeak News.

Tansel Ersavas
Squeak News
http://www.squeaknews.com