[rant] Re: [OT] Will the SSSCA outlaw Squeak?

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Tue Sep 18 15:20:43 UTC 2001

Andrew was quite right in his analysis of my expression.  I'll make a
few more points on this, and then I'll say no more.

I have a problem with any argument that lends any credibility to the act
of terror and that is why I wrote what I wrote.

To those who interpret justice to mean "bomb the hell out of them," that
is not at all what I meant.  I would like to see those people
aprehended.  I would like them to apologize to the world for their
actions.  And, I would like them locked away forever.  Let their
resistance to apology determine the hardships they will endure the rest
of their lives.

As for why we are where we are, I believe a lot of the problems stem
from America's fear of the spread of communism.  That brought us into
several wars that we would otherwise not have participated (including
Afghanistan).  It even turned us against our own people (McCarthyism).

For those that seem to think that war mongering is the sole domain of
the Republican party, I offer this:  My own Senator, a Democrat, was
quoted as saying: "bomb the hell out of them."  Also, I'll remind people
that it was the Clinton administration that indiscriminantly bombed the
Sudan and Afghanistan.  Worse, that bombing was uncomfortable in its
timing leading many to speculate that Clinton was attempting to divert
attention from the Lewinsky matter.  Lobbing bombs at Sudan and
Afghanistan was dangerous and foolish.

Regarding Bush's cavalier attitude, I am hopeful that these are gestures
directed at American people who need such expressions right now.  There
are many, many people in the US who would like us to lash out
immediately, and the President has to provide some outlet for those
people.  Let's hope that in the coming days cooler heads prevail and
that he is successful in channeling that fear and hatred into more
constructive pursuits.

In a great symbolic gesture to the world, I would like the United States
to line up several battleships in the New York harbor and detonate about
5000 missiles in the skies above.  Let it be a moment for all who need
it to expunge the hatred and the rage.

As for the terrorists:  mission accomplished...I am terrified.

- Stephen