RBSqueak - what's next

ducasse stephane ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Sep 18 18:48:33 UTC 2001

Daniel

I do not know if you see the talk of Roel at EUg about classifications else
look at his web page www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/
because: integration RB with Whisker is really the way to go, then having
classifications instead of the top left pane would produce a really amasing
browser. I already discussed with Doug we were stopped with the
classification framework but the idea is to let you categorize anything
(module ;), classes,methods, message send, inspected object, categories,
favorites seletion....) as categories....

ething up in the next few days (the
> holiday season is starting here).
>
>> Also, I am on the fixes review group, but mostly we're currently working
>> on streamlining the incorporation of smaller fixes and enhancements.
>> The RB is a pretty big item, which would probably be mostly up to SqC to
>> decide to incorporate.  (The fixes review group may eventually expand
>> its duties to look at larger items, I don't know.  Also, the notion of
>> the "base image" will probably change a bit once a modularity system is
>> in place.)
> You're the maintainers of the first module - currently a very big one.
>
> I think in time, some people will be maintaining modules, and what the
> community will need is some people maintaining a Configuration of
> *module versions* that work together well.

;) we need a kind of envy configuration and modules with version number and
dependencies and the dream will become reality

> The only thing that bothers me right now about the RB not being in the
> image is that most people won't see it by default. What's required now
> in this department is probably some cheating... :-)

Indeed this is extremely important if we could have it the image. Once I
sent an email stating that the Refactoring Browser is really important to
support the improvement of Squeak