[Problem]: Squeak won't come up under my Unix

Alexander Klein Alexander.Klein at math.uni-giessen.de
Sat Sep 22 11:04:35 UTC 2001

Hi Dan,

At 17:20 Uhr +0200 19.09.2001, Dan Ingalls wrote:

>Wavelets, did you say?  What are you doing with them?

The project I work on has to do with how visual stimuli that are associated
with a learning-process are processed in the brain.

All the data has already been analyzed using the standard Fourier methods,
and we will make an attempt at using wavelets for the same problem.

>Do you know that Squeak has primitive support for fast wavelet transforms?

Not until now, but given the amount of data (roughly six Gigabyte) that we
have to crunch through, and the fact that I'm totally new to Smalltalk, I
think I'll rather stick with my C++ for the time being.

Squeak, however, would make a really nice visualization tool, as far as I
see it.

>(If this ends up saving you some time, perhaps you could get 1-, 2-, and
>4- bit depths to work in X.  Much more fun ;-)

Well, maybe I could do that anyway when I have more time, the code
dependent on the number of bitplanes didn't look _that_ complicated.

Have a nice weekend!

	Alex

       I had a light that shined across my mind - rarely see it any more
  Now it is mostly dark, except for sparks - can't remember what they're for
                                 - Savatage/Poets and Madmen/The Morphine Child